In today’s edition of “hide the taste of your protein”, here’s a great one that’s easy as… well, apple pie. If you want to know why I think whey is great (though not great tasting) or why protein is so important and how much you need, check out some of my earlier posts!
But for today, get out your blender and get ready to get your fall on!
This shake has several great things about it, besides the protein packed deliciousness. The applesauce gives you some carbs, but doesn’t go overboard. Unlike some of my other recipes, you don’t need to save this one for a pre or post workout if you’d rather have it some other time. It also has some fiber and Vitamin C, among other things! Cinnamon is fantastic for helping you manage blood sugar, and keeps it from spiking after a meal. But it also aids in wound healing and helping manage PCOS. Nutmeg is an awesome spice that helps with anxiety, depression, cancer, low libido… annnnnd wrinkles! I love spices, not just for how amazing they make food taste without extra calories, but also for what they do in the body. I love the book “Healing Spices” and keep it handy whenever I’m playing with new recipes. I’ll add the amazon link at the bottom. If this book interests you and you’d buy it anyway, please use the link.
To make this Awesome-in-a-glass, You’ll need:
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein (I’m just using what I have… Dymatize, but I often recommend Optimum Nutrition)
- 1/2 cup applesauce (easy there, Judgy-pants! Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it!)
- 8 oz milk (my clients who are lactose intolerant have had good luck with FairLife milk. That’s what I use.)
- 1/2 t cinnamon (I like cinnamon and think it’s hard to get too much. But it’s your shake. Adjust for your taste!)
- 1/8 t nutmeg (definitely makes the flavor pop!)
Put everything in the blender (add the whey powder last to avoid clumping issues) and go to town.
If you’re interested in purchasing Healing Spices, just click on the picture of the book below. It’s my Amazon Affiliate link to the book. (I don’t recommend things unless I love them and use them, but I do get a small commission if you purchase an amazon item I recommend through a link I provide. Your purchase helps support the Pudge blog!)